[TriLUG] Re: DNS Issues

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu May 26 10:30:16 EDT 2005

Following on with an earlier thread, I am getting quite a few of the
following type of bounce messages:

<cakywf at flausa.net>:
Connected to 209.216.91.170 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 501 <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON at oifis2.bdmcc-us.com>... Sender
domain
+must exist

Admittedly, the host name is not visible from the "outside world," but
the domain is fully registered and has two MX servers ready, willing,
and able to receive mail.  Aside from my own tests using "host," "dig"
and "nslookup," I also followed the suggestion to use DNSStuff, which
seems to concur with my research -- everything is kosher.

Any thoughts?  Is it just that I am running into a bunch of
badly-configured SMTP servers, or is there something that I am missing?

Thanks,
Brian