[TriLUG] possibly OT - RSS feeds, popular portals, etc.

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:56:03 EDT 2005

All,

As this isn't directly related to linux, with exception of the fact
that my RSS (.xml file) feed is hosted on my web server running
linux... this may be OT.

We are looking at using RSS as a way to give our customers who take
advantage of RSS a simple way of knowing when we update an important
form on our website.  I have tested my RSS feed with Mozilla Firefox,
Mozilla Thunderbird, ipodder (http://ipodder.sf.net), MyYahoo! and MSN
news portals and it works with all of them.  The only thing I noticed
is MSN seems to ignore my <pubDate></pubDate> tag in the XML file and
claims the item is only as old as when it showed up in the MSN
window... anyway, that's besides the point, just FYI.

Are there other portals people are using... those 2 web portals are
obviously large and popular with people... and I'm talking joe and
jane here, not uber geek tools.  Are there any others I should test
with?  I will be writing a how-to for the non-savvy who want to try to
use this technology to track our forms which will include the most
popular methods of receiving RSS feeds.

NetNewWire may be another, but I'm not sure if it is cross-platform, etc.

thanks,
David McD