[TriLUG] Finding GPL Fonts

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at futeki.net
Fri May 27 10:48:46 EDT 2005

Solved my own problem, but thought I'd share the solution with the list.

Turns out that the URW Postscript Type1 fonts that are installed on my
RH/FC systems _are_ GPL'd and just copyright held by URW.  For other
rpm'ers, the package is urw-fonts and they end up living in
/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/.  These are most of the fonts you might
see in OO.o for example Nimbus Roman/Mono, Century, Gothic, Palladio,
etc.

To convert one of these to ttf for use with the GD library in PHP, I
used Font Forge ( http://fontforge.sf.net ) and followed some
instructions http://www.squirrel.nl/people/jvromans/OOo/oofonts03.html

Tim

--