[TriLUG] electric Fence help

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat May 28 13:11:03 EDT 2005

On Saturday 28 May 2005 12:02 pm, Ralph Blach wrote:
> I am asking for help using electric fence.

I've never used electric fence, and I couldn't find any documentation online
in the 60 seconds that I took to look, but...

> I then use the line in my shell
>   export  LD_PRELOAD=libefence.so.0.0
>
> When I try to use gdb

Are you sure that you're supposed to use LD_PRELOAD and gdb with Electric
Fence.  Sometimes, memory debugging tools let you run the program, and then
they dump a report at the end...no debugger needed.

> I get this error
>   gdb testp
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>

It's possible here that the LD_PRELOAD is forcing gdb to use Electric Fence.
Perhaps that's your problem?  You can probably enable LD_DEBUG or LD_VERBOSE
(man ld.so) to determine what's going on with the libraries.

> If I do not put in the preload of the electric fence
> gdb starts normally.

But then you don't get what you want from Electric Fence.