[TriLUG] knoppix on HD and syslog

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 30 18:21:07 EDT 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

>okay, there is no syslog(d) in /etc/sysconfig or anywhere else I can
>find.  There must be a simple way to configure Knoppix on the HD to
>accept syslog messages.  Right?  What Is it?  Back to google.
>
>Greg

If you mean to configure it to receive message over TCP from other
hosts, check out the -a argument to Syslog.  If you mean it won't
receive them on a local socket, check to make sure your service that's
trying to syslog isn't chroot, but other than that it should work find.
You can test with the logger(1) program to narrow down problems between
Syslog vs the service's ability to talk to syslog.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner