[TriLUG] OT - was: Financial Tracking Software

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:51:56 EDT 2005

On 5/31/05, Christopher L Merrill <chris at webperformanceinc.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Ahhh...our tax dollars at work!
>
> Only a government bureaucrat could think that the most
> valuable part of an e-mail is the sig.   :(
>
> I've heard of a lot of dumb sh!t in govt circles, but
> this has got to be the dumbest.

I don't know. When I worked over at the EPA in the Park, every machine
on the entire EPA network had a public IP address; all 30k plus nodes.
Yes, Windows desktops included. Better yet there were no firewalls.
When I would work from home, I'd telnet(not kidding) directly to my
desktop Sparc and export the display. That was the proscribed method.
Network security was purely host based.

I'm sure Joe will let us know things have changed. Please, let things
have changed as this was about 7 years ago.

Ken