[TriLUG] OT - was: Financial Tracking Software

Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov
Tue May 31 16:43:58 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007 Federal
Infrastructure Contact-Ravi Nair 919-541-5467 - nair.ravi at epa.gov,
Federal Visualization  Contact - Joe Retzer, Ph.D. 919-541-4190 -
retzer.joseph at epa.gov

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote on 05/31/2005 03:51:56 PM:

> When I worked over at the EPA in the Park,
> every machine on the entire EPA network had a public IP address;
> all 30k plus nodes. Yes, Windows desktops included.

still do, however they're all firewalled and AFAIK nothing
can get in, even collaborators wanting to use the machines.
I think the mail machine is the only thing accepting
connections from the outside world. There are webservers
for the outside world but they're on the outside.
Getting out you can only go to 23,80 and 443 and passive ftp.
nntp and ssh have been shut down - they're not govt approved.

Joe