[TriLUG] bricked wrt54g.. or WTF54g?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:02:36 EDT 2005

This is strange.  Back to the bricked unit of mine (the one that
wouldn't allow ssh connections and would no longer allow telnet
because the root pw was set).

It was time for hardcore battle, I needed this little unit to work so
I went for desperate measures.  It is a v.2 unit so, per Shane's
instructions, I shorted pins 15 and 16, and applied power.  Whoopie!
>From there I re-TFTP'ed the openwrt code.  Upon reboot, same problem:
telnet would fail with the following erorr:

Login failed.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Crap.  So I go back, short the pins, then upload an older version of
Linksys code.  This loads up all well and good and even allows me to
log into the web interface as Admin, just like it should.  I then
proceed to run the ping exploit, put the unit into boot_wait, pull the
power, then set up my tftp server to upload OpenWRT.  When the code is
uploaded again.. guess what?  Same telnet error and no ssh.  I mean..
say what?!?!  If I went as far as to reupload the linksys code,
exploit the unit from there, THEN put back the openWRT code wouldn't
it be logical that it would work?

Is anyone not as confused by this as me?

Greg