[TriLUG] OS recommendations/Aging software issues

Dave Sorenson ufffda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:52:35 EDT 2005

Look at Cent OS. It is an opensource distro compiled from the current
Red Hat enterprise source code. Security/ bug fixes are very speedy and
reliable (IME)

PHB advice: Point out that the older OS is no longer supported
officially by the vendor so security updates could be difficult to come
by. And version dependancies can usually be solved reasonably easily in
Linux.

OR

Take the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" route. Set up a
"test" server and see if everything will work. If it doesn't work
easily, all you're out is a few hours for the OS install and you can
justify that by the "need" to investigate and test in preparation for
the real install. ;)

Dave