[TriLUG] automatic calling software for school

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jun 2 19:54:25 EDT 2005

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:

>Since I haven't had a chance to play with Asterisk yet, this is what
>concerns me.
>

>>Don't forget, they have to be able to live with it and use it after you
>>

>leave...
>

>>Asterisk seems a risky bet, unless you (or another Asterisk wonk) are
>>willing to put yourself into potential auto-dialer servitude.

As Jon pointed out, if it's properly set up, there should be very little
support involved over time.  Presuming you're not changing or adding
features (I don't consider changing the numbers it dials a feature
change), you shouldn't require any more knowledge than would normally be
required to support Linux on PC hardware (i.e. handle things like
backups and recovering from failed hardware, which most any Linux
consultant can tackle).

As a proof-in-the-pudding example, I setup my Asterisk PBX some time
last last year, and I don't believe I've touched Asterisk on that
machine since then.  All calls in and out of my house go through that
box, probably an average of 5-6 calls per day.

Aaron S. Joyner