[TriLUG] linksys routing issues

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Fri Jun 3 14:09:24 EDT 2005

I suspect that your VoIP router is doing NAT from the 2.x subnet to the
1.x subnet.  That is, all connections out from the 2.x subnet are
masquraded as a single IP on the 1.x subnet.  This prevents pings from
the 1.x network to the 2.x network since it's not actually routable.
Adding the route that Jason suggests will only work if your VoIP box is
in "router" mode as discussed below.

One option is to see if the VoIP can be set into "routing" mode rathern
than "gateway" mode, but I don't think these boxes have that options.

Your best bet is probably to use instructions like these:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp  to convert your
WRT54G into an access point and use the Linksys adapter as the router
for your connection.

-David