[TriLUG] Requesting iPods to Attend on Thursday!

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Sun Jun 5 22:55:58 EDT 2005

I am working on adding native iPod support to gnome-volume-manager, and
also full iPod support to Sonance [http://sonance.aaronbock.net]. I am
the lead developer of Sonance.

I currently have most of the lower level device handling code written,
and am looking for some iPod file system snapshots for testing. I
currently have snapshots (taken from devices that I own) for:

"Regular" iPod (4th Generation)
"Regular" iPod (3rd Generation)
iPod Photo
iPod Shuffle

I am looking for older devices (1st and 2nd generations) that I can
connect to my laptop and rip a snapshot of the file system, however,
I'll gladly rip any iPod.

I would *NOT* be ripping the actual music stored on the iPod, just the
control, device, and database information. I have written a shell script
that will allow a quick rip. Ripping would mean I will have a copy of
your database, and could thus see the contents of your iPod - but I
won't rip the actual audio files referenced by the database (that would
take quite a while!).

I am simply looking to test for any possible discrepancies in various
models and generations.

If you have an iPod, of any kind, I would greatly appreciate you
bringing it to the meeting on Thursday, and I'll quickly rip a snapshot
before or after the meeting. Your generosity will help enhance the
quality of upcoming advances in the multimedia experience for Linux.

Also, I only have cables for 4th generation iPods. If you have an older
iPod, please bring the USB cable! (No firewire please... the laptop
doesn't have a firewire port :-/)

Many, Many Thanks!

Best,
Aaron