[TriLUG] Question about ripping vinyl audio discs

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 08:07:32 EDT 2005

Gregory Woodbury wrote:

>Failing that some pointers to dosing so under Fedora 3 would be nice.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/     there is a Redhat version in Downloads.

   I'm using Audacity to make "archive" copies of my vinyl LPs. Unless
the record is heavily scratched, thats all I need.
1) Start Audacity.
2) place needle on TT.
3) click "Record" on Audacity.
4) wait.
5) click "save as".

  I usually record several seconds of leadin and leadout then cut to
length after recording. You can left click a section of the recording
then use the "fade out" effect to do a nice fade.
Note: this assumes a working sound card in your system!

   If I want to work on scratches I use the old "gramofile":

http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

it's a command line interface but seems to do wonders for scratches,
much better than any filter I have tried in Audacity. Please note that
your time-to-finish will be much longer if using gramofile to process
the audio.

If I can be of any other help,
john mitchell