[TriLUG] Wireless Broadband

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 7 00:21:40 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 21:06, Aaron Bockover wrote:
> Okay, so Raleigh just isn't full of open WiFi hot-spots, and it'd really
> be nice to have wireless broadband. Is anyone subscribed to such a
> service? Does one really even exist yet in this area?
>
> I tried signing up for the free Nextel Wireless Broadband trial last
> year, but didn't get accepted. It's been a year, the trial is over, and
> it doesn't look like they've rolled the service out publicly.
>
> Verizon has wireless broadband, but Raleigh isn't one of its supported
> cities.
>
> Are we just that insignificant? I would really hate to have to start
> using my cellphone for dial-up... that's just asinine!
>
> Best,
> Aaron

There are a couple of folks *trying* to do wireless in Raleigh.
Unfortunately Bell owns all the reserved spectrum here and has just been
sitting on it.  The few companies doing the Public spectrum are stuck
because no one will fund them with the specter of Bell looming over them
(and doing nothing)...

That's why places like Johnson County have Wireless DSL and Raleigh
doesn't.

It will get here though. My company is currently partnering (or about to
partner) with a big provider that is East of here. If that is successful
then we will be bringing them into Fuquay and Apex as an alternate
provider for our VoIP offering.

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel