[TriLUG] crond opening root sessions..?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Jun 7 08:30:59 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,
   Past couple days I've started seeing entries in the pam_unix section
of LogWatch that look like this:

crond:
    Unknown Entries:
       session closed for user root: 270 Time(s)
       session opened for user root by (uid=0): 270 Time(s)

I don't know what that means, or why it's suddenly happening.  crond
opening a session for user root?  A session of what?  When I hear
"session," I think "interactive," and nothing that cron is doing should
be involving interaction from anyone.  root's crontab just has what I
expect it to have.

The only thing I've changed lately was to install the MailScanner RPMs,
but I haven't actually put the installation to work; haven't configured
it, haven't stopped sendmail and put mailscanner in control, etc.

So it's got me a bit nervous.  Could something nefarious be going on
here?  Why should root be opening a session a little more than 11 times
an hour?

Thanks,
~Brian