[TriLUG] Moving to the area this weekend

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 8 18:37:30 EDT 2005

As an alternative to Time Warner, let me recommend Earthlink Cable.  If
you do it right, you can get it for a few dollars cheaper each month,
and like like to give you the first 6 months for a lot cheaper.  Some
advantages other than price are a great network of dial-up locations,
and they don't require the strange scripts that time warner at least
used to use for dial-up when you need it.  Also, earthlink provides an
authenticated smtp server which you can use from anywhere.  That's no
longer an issue for me, but previously I didn't have smtpauth at work,
and time warner didn't provide it at home, so I had to keep switching
smtp servers.  Earthlink let me just use a single server on my laptop.
It's the same network as time warner, so you get the same speed and
quality of service.  It just has a few other advantages over time warner
that I appreciate.

Joel