[TriLUG] upgrading to a bigger HD

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:32:56 EDT 2005

Someone else can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but your partition
information and MBR is stored in that small slice called /dev/hda (I
believe it's that unusable 8mb you always lose when trying for format
a disk)  and the partitions are /dev/hda1,2,3,...  So when you clone
disk A (of 1GB) to disk B (of 2GB) you'll have 1GB of free space on
the new drive...just inaccessible.  dd will copy from sector 1 to 1000
and burn to the new disk...not caring if there's more space
available..once it hits the end of disk A and never got an error
burning to disk B..you're done.  A mirror (bootable) image of the
first.

Since you're gonna use Knoppix to do this, I'd look at QTParted once
you're in.  I've used that to shrink and grow partitions with ne'er a
failure...knock on wood.