[TriLUG] Jabber server outage

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 10 15:16:24 EDT 2005

Jabber is a whole different animal than IRC.  I'm no expert on IRC, but
jabber, using the multi-user conference component can operate similarly
to IRC.

Jabber at its core is quite different from IRC.  Jabber should really be
called XMPP, which is an IETF standard defined by rfc 3920 and 3921.
XMPP is the extensible messaging and presence protocol.  It is an open
source alternative to the proprietary instant messaging systems in use,
such as AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc. and it has numerous advantages over them.

Notably it is decentralized, like our email system.  Anyone can run an
xmpp server and communicate with any other server that has
server-to-server communication enabled.  It can be made to be secure,
with TLS or SSL on both the client-to-server and server-to-server links.
  Plus it is extensible, as the X implies.  All sorts of things can be
built on top of xmpp.

A common use of jabber is transports.  These are links to other
messaging systems from your jabber account.  Unlike a multi-protocol
client like GAIM, where you configure the client to log into each
account, with jabber transports, you configure the server to log into
each account for you when you log into your jabber account.  And your
roster (buddy list) is always stored on the server, so wherever you log
in from, you only have to use one login and password, and the server
logs you into every other service for you, saving all of your contacts
on the server.  This is great if you frequently log in from many
different locations.  There are even IRC transports so you can use
jabber to communicate over IRC.

Multi-user chat is the irc-like component of jabber, providing "chat
rooms".  Jabber can be used for file transfer, and can use a proxy if
you're behind a firewall.  Many people use jabber for syndicated news
feeds.  Jabber can even run over http using HTTP polling or HTTP Binding
allowing web based jabber clients such as JWChat, which is great if
you're behind a firewall that only lets you use port 80.

I hope this gives you an idea of some of what Jabber can do.  Check out
jabber.org, in particular the "What is Jabber?" link and the User FAQ if
you want to learn more.  jabber.org is filled with great information
about jabber.

Joel