[TriLUG] Expandable storage options?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Fri Jun 10 19:51:42 EDT 2005

Much of the higher end market is heading towards serial protocol
devices, be they ATA or SCSI.  In the server space, over the next year
or so, HP is moving to Serial ATA for the cheaper servers, and Serial
SCSI for the mid range, and high end servers.  They are also moving
towards 2.5" spindles.  One co-worker just bought a TB of SATA disks for
not much dough.

Another thing that's starting to happen is ATA over Ethernet.  I believe
that Linux Magazine and Linux Journal have both had articles lately
about this.  Think of a USB box for a hard drive, but it's Ethernet
instead of USB, and the drivers let you see the disk as if it were a
local disk, but it's attached to the lan.

	Of course it'd be pricey now to get into either of these arenas, but
this movement does mean that the stuff that's been out for a while, SATA
disks particularly, are really coming down in price.  SCSI demand
remains low, mostly just servers, so the cost tends to stay high.

I guess that this all boils down to "Check out SATA".

Kevin

Doing my part to keep the word count of messages up, anticipating
Aaron's departure.