[TriLUG] Jabber - IRC question

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Jun 11 09:32:20 EDT 2005

Lee Fickenscher wrote:

> Tanner,
> We kind of chatted about this offline a bit. It is more difficult
> than it would first appear, however it is doable. I'm fiddling with
> it a bit, but I'm not much of a developer so it is slow going for me.
>
> It would be quite easy, I would think, to set up an echo so that IRC
> posts will be forwarded to a jabber MUC, but it is going in the other
> direction that things get murky.

Many moons ago I tinkered with extending an irc bot to take input from
an external source and relay it into an irc channel.  It wasn't a
terribly difficult hack, it just required plugging into it's poll /
event loop an extra poll of the program generating the input.  Something
along those lines might suffice for a handy way to integrate the two
resources.

Still, it seems that individuals joining the IRC server w/ the IRC
transport is a readily available way to tackle this problem, although it
doesn't have the added benefit of gradually allowing people to migrate
to jabber MUC, with the expectation of phasing out IRC.  :)  *teases Jason*

Aaron S. Joyner