IRC Nicknames (was Re: [TriLUG] [Fwd: [Steering] Red Hat is Hiring])

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:01:38 EDT 2005

On 6/15/05, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
> not that this is a real hardship for those that use some portion of their
> real names in their irc names...a la lovelace, jeremyp, drasch, mfrye,
> lavigne, etc.
>
> Now for those of us who don't, maybe we need a universal translater posted
> somewhere?  Tribot seems to have forgotten how to universally translate,
> and in any case that doesn't provide a reverse translation
>
> shal /aka/ William

The problem isn't with associating the names.  The problem is that
the majority of people on this list are not on irc.  This list has
almost 600 people on it while there are only 61 currently in the
irc channel (channel name is #trilug on irc.trilug.org, for those
of you who are wondering).  When we start using names that
only perhaps 10% of the list has a chance of understanding, the
list as a whole suffers.

Cheers,
Tanner
--