[TriLUG] Ot: File Transfer

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:45:15 EDT 2005

If you can't do that, get a md5sum of the file and sftp it and hope
for the best.  I've run into some problems with sftp'ing big files,
though.

Here's a thought: how about a private bit torrent network.  Large
files are no big deal for torrent.  I have no idea how to go about
setting one up, though.

Better yet, is your client local?  Drive over and copy from the LAN at
100 or 1000 meg.  I've been known to do that before from time to time.

The file transfer itself would be trivial: simply set up a share on
your XP notebook and mount that share on the Mac via smb://<ip of
notebook>.  Put in the username and password for the XP account,
select the destination share on the XP laptop, and copy away.  I do
that at work all the time.

If you are truly sick, you can create a tunnel with SSH from the Mac
to a Linux/BSD/Samba machine on the Internet then tunnel SMB over SSH.
 It's ugly, but it works and I have copyed large files around the
globe via this method.

Greg