[TriLUG] OSS citrix alternative? VNC, perhaps?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jun 16 22:58:29 EDT 2005

Brent Verner wrote:

>[1] Please, please, please someone tell me how to make X perform
>    as well as RDP so I can stop admitting that Microsoft actually
>		has something better than us...

Well you simply won't get that type of performance out of X, because
it's designed in a totally different manner.  It sends bitmaps and raw
mouse movement information across the connection.  If you need a remote
access solution, and don't mind considering a commercial product, have a
look at Sun's recently-acquired Tarantella product.  It probably won't
meet the needs of the original poster, but I have had extensive
experience with it lately, and come away generally impressed.  It's
quite capable as a remote-access solution, and runs on your Linux of
choice.  Well, to be fair, it's only officially supported and workable
on a few choice Linuxes, as opposed to your Linux of choice.  :)
Specifically RedHat and Suse, and a couple of other platforms.

It can connect to a number of back ends / interface to a number of
systems, including VNC, RDesktop, X, etc by being an application server
on a reasonably fast network with the service, and then translate any of
those outputs into it's own proprietary format and shove it down a
single SSL session to a java-based web applet running inside a web
browser.  Very reasonably fast and responsive remote connections, to
anything from a terminal app, up to a full blown remote copy of Mozilla,
or even an entire desktop session through RDP, VNC, or other methods.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner