[TriLUG] wierd bind9 question

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Jun 17 01:23:09 EDT 2005

> Simple.  Don't specify two reverse PTR records, and you won't get two
> back from BIND.  Technically, returning two PTRs is against the spec.
> As I'm sure you've discovered, that's because it produces highly
> inconsistent results.  GIGO, Garbage In, Garbage Out.  :)  You might try
> a short hand something like this:
>
> $GENERATE 1-35 PTR client$
> 36  PTR  special-clientA
> $GENERATE 37-256 PTR client$

unfortunately i might have a dozen or more manual entries which would
make this approach no better than a big static list.

> But that just makes it a little easier to manage than a big long
> listing.  My general thinking is that if you're doing this by hand,
> you're doing it wrong.  Presumably, these are DHCP assigned addresses
> (if they're not, they should be), and they should be setup automatically
> (with TSIG, of course) by the DHCP server at the time the address is
> leased, based on the hostname of the requesting host for truly dynamic
> assignments, or based on the hostname in the configuration for static
> assignments.  This way all of your forward and reverse DNS entries will
> match up, making things easy to address by name, and (if you're using
> it) making Kerberos happy about reverse names likely matching host
> principals.  If you're feeling especially lively, you can push the
> entire configuration for DHCP up into LDAP, and configure it all on the
> fly so you can add host to MAC name relationships w/o having to bounce
> DHCPd.  If I were given the opportunity to build a large scalable
> network from scratch, that's how I'd do it, at least.  :)
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

none of this involves dhcp, this is strictly a dns server.  i was hoping
to use manual entries as needed and fill in the gaps with a generate
statement but since it appears there is no way to run that way without
creating duplicate PTR records i guess i'm sol.  maybe ldap is the way
to go on this, i'll have to see how "lively" i feel and whether or not
that will make things significantly easier.  thanks aaron!

jason