[TriLUG] Postfix v QMail ?

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Fri Jun 17 08:51:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 07:43:17AM -0400, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> Let me start by saying that I have little experience with QMail, but
> have a healthy respect for it's security track record, and my
> familiarity ends with it's lack of a "sendmail" style interface (meaning
> you can't call /usr/sbin/sendmail exactly the way so many programs expect).

er, are you sure about that? I've got a /usr/sbin/sendmail (linked to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail) and it seems to behave reasonably. If you have any specific tests you'd like me to throw at it, I'd be happy to.

Anyhow, I personally run qmail and have no complaints about it. It's configuration system generally makes sense to me and I don't have a hard time using it. More telling than my dinky single-user site, however, is that my former University (SUNY at Buffalo) uses qmail and they have somewhere between 45-50k users. I'd assume it scales fairly well as they continue to use it.

My advice would be to examine both qmail and postfix's documentation and configuration system. Which set of documentation is more complete for what you want to do? Which configuration system do you find makes the most sense to you? Does anything either MTA do make you recoil in horror?

--
David Aquilina
david at starkindler.us