[TriLUG] Postfix v QMail ?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:35:37 EDT 2005

On 6/17/05, Craig Duncan <craigduncan at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Looking for some real world feedback on using these MTA's, whether one
> has an advantage over the other, scales better, etc.

I ran qmail on my mail server for about 3-4 years before switching
to postfix which I've run now for also about 3-4 years.  I would
*highly* recommend postfix over qmail.  The main reason I moved
away from qmail was that it has basically stagnated.  The developer,
Daniel Bernstein, has completely lost interest in it and to make it
do anything that a normal MTA these days should do like
SMTP-AUTH, SSL, LDAP integration, etc.. you have to patch it.
In addition to that, the patches often conflict with each other.
To top all that off, if qmail isn't installed exactly where Mr.
Berstein decreed that it should be, it won't run.  So, I finally
got completely fed up with the trouble of keeping it up to
date and having to deal with a programmer that wanted to
set policy on my system and chucked it out the window and
went with postfix.  I've been much happier ever since.

Postfix was written by Wietse Venema (sp?) who is still
very active with development and even answers questions
on the postfix mailing list (politely even! :-)  There is a vibrant
community working with it and it supports everything you would
expect with a modern mailer.  It's very easy to setup and
is very fast.  As I said, I *highly* recommend it.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace