[TriLUG] You don't have permission to access /~jonc on this server.

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Fri Jun 17 13:20:29 EDT 2005

Sure you can. The server admin just needs to set up the option in the
httpd.conf file to allow the various extensions ie:

DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml index.htm
index.jsp home.html home.asp
etc etc..

Apache will look for the extensions in order, so if you have, in the
example given above, an index.php and an index.html apache will serve
the php file as the index, not the .html .. In practice I find it least
confusing not to have more than 1 index. something file in directories
but YMMV You could have a case that you need both etc...

Dave S