[TriLUG] CDR backup suggestions?

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 09:15:58 EDT 2005

Please ignore (1) below, as it proves that I failed to read the first email
in the installfest thread.

Still, question (2) stands, since I have files I want to back up under both
systems' partitions (Debian/XP), and my googling has given me a bewildering
array of possibilities that don't look terribly enticing. For example, I've
browsed ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/backup/ and
http://directory.fsf.org/sysadmin/backup/

--------REAL QUESTION STARTS HERE--------
I'm looking at something I can point at /d (for example) and then have it
respond by prompting me for CDRs each time it has a new CDR-sized .tar.gz
file to burn. When it's done, I'll have a stack of CDRs that cover
everything in the /d directory tree. Anybody seen such an animal?

Anybody used backuper?
http://directory.fsf.org/sysadmin/backup/Backuper.html

How about backup2l? http://backup2l.sourceforge.net/

Thanks all,

CMP

P.S. I'm taking last month's rather miserable failure of my external HD--my
backup--as a sign that God wants me to back up my personal data more
regularly. That, or God objects to Complete Radiohead and Led Zeppelin
collections on the same HD. Either way, I'm ditching Western Digital and
picking up a backup habit. Help me choose a good bottle... err... backup
method.

On 6/17/05, Jeff Groves <jgroves at krenim.org> wrote:

> Answer to number 1) http://www.waketech.edu/
>
> Jeff G.
>
> Cristobal Palmer wrote:
>
> >2 questions:
> >
> >(1) where exactly is this Wake Tech place (address of the building so I
> can
> >mapquest it)?
> >(2) Best balance of fast/easy/safe way to back up my current Debian/XP
> >dual-boot hd so I can raze it and install a debian only system with a
> fresh
> >kernel? I've got a UNC-CH CCI-issue ThinkPad T30, a spindle of CDRs and a
> >friend's external drive (USB 2.0) with about 10G available (I think it's
> >vfat).

(It's NTFS--I'm dumb)