[TriLUG] nfs & nat

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Sat Jun 18 23:02:33 EDT 2005

Dear all,

I've been mounting an nfs share without problems for quite some time.  Now the
client machine is being NAT in relation to the server, and I'm getting errors
like this in the server syslog:

Jun 18 22:47:19 hrivnak rpc.mountd: refused mount request from
cpe-065-188-151-098.triad.res.rr.com for /home/mhrivnak(/home/mhrivnak):
illegal port 64891

I'm not having much luck researching this, but I'm at least coming to
understand that some degree of port consistency is required by rpc, which is
lost when using NAT.

For the record, the NAT device is a DI-704.  Also, I am confident that entries
is /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/exports are appropriate to this setup.

A clearer explanation of the problem and/or a solution would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael