[TriLUG] Samba vs NFS -- Speed difference, why?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:18:35 EDT 2005

On 6/20/05, John Broome <jbroome at gmail.com> wrote:
> SMB dragging along, NFS cranking.
>
> Since this is a mostly windows network we can't really use NFS instead
> of the samba.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?  Some googling doesn't really turn up much.

A quick search for "samba tuning" brings up this quote from
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_01.html

"If you run Samba on a well-tuned NFS server, Samba may perform rather badly."

If you follow the link at the bottom of the page
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_02.html)
it has suggestions for things in samba to tune.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace