[TriLUG] Get NetBIOS name from IP

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jun 20 14:09:17 EDT 2005

Hi Gang,
   What's the best way, from a Linux platform, to find the NetBIOS name
of a Windows host on my switched LAN when I know its IP?  I used to use
ettercap to do this, but ettercap has undergone massive changes to its
basic operating procedures, and I haven't yet figured out how to use it
again.

It'd be really groovy to have an automated method of doing this that I
could integrate into my subnet monitoring scripts (which right now just
pings IP ranges to see who is up...would be awesome to match that up,
maybe via MAC, to machines in my resource management system).

Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks a ton,
~Brian