[TriLUG] Ot: File Transfer

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 07:47:10 EDT 2005

Since this thread has come back up I thought that I'd give an update.

A few new factors:

1. The 'customer' turned out to be my corporate office.
2. They are not using OS X.  They haven't upgraded yet.
3. The 16GB file is not a text file, it is a backup file.

I do not share computer systems with my corporate offices. While I run
a Windows/Linux system (that I am currently trying to parse Windows
from) they run a very large Mac network.

Since I moved here, and they have seen a few of the things Linux can
do, they are trying to integrate some Linux into their environment.
They want me to set up a dedicated Linux box (or M$ box) to use as a
repository for their daily backup file, which runs out at about 16GB.
The data is already compressed from the mac.  They are willing to
upgrade my internet service to the 3 Meg service from Wind Channel.

Before I get 10,000 comments on how they should do things differently,
please realize that I have no control or input over their systems.
I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle this on my end.
I had originally thought that this was a text file from a customer
until I started asking about specifics.  Their comment to me was
basically, "We want to use your place as a backup location.  What all
do we need to do to get that going."

Given those facts, I'd be glad to hear ideas from anyone.

Regards,
Mark.

On 6/20/05, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> no, the units given were bits and not bytes.  i really meant what i
> originally posted.
> Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll
> free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our
> Clean Technologies. Established in the Carolinas 1997.
>

> Dan wrote:
> Jim Ray wrote:

> 16 Gb/1.5Mbps=transfer time not including TCP/IP overhead

Jim Ray,
> President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

> sorry for the late comment but I've been on vacation... you really
> meant
16GB/1.5Mbps. In this case the case makes a big difference.

<nothin'