[TriLUG] Ot: File Transfer

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:22:58 EDT 2005

>Storing backup data at people's houses
>introduces all kinds of legal and security
>questions.  I wouldn't want my corporate
>data backed up at my house, much less
>one of my employees.

This would not be at my house.  The corporate offices are in downtown
Raleigh and my office is in North Raleigh.  They do daily incremental
tape backups, but they want a 'live' site where they can send the
whole backup file in addition to the tape systems.  When I lived in
Alabama I had a similar situation in that my home office was in
Nashville.  They sent backups to us via a VPN, but the files were MUCH
smaller.  The thing that is really the sticking point is the file
size. If it wasn't a 16GB file this wouldn't be a problem.  They want
me to hold the file because of the legal and security issues of
someone else having the file.

Like William said, I want to fully automate this process to happen
unattended, at night.

Thanks,
Mark.