[TriLUG] Filtering mail on trilug.org

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:44:09 EDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:
> Ok, I've been away for a while. I found out that procmail has been
> depreciated on the trilug mail server, but the members page has
> not been updated. Ugh.
>
> So, what's the new method?

Sieve.  Go to https://www.trilug.org/cgi-bin/websieve.pl and log in
with your imap username and password.  If you don't already have
the TriLUG Certificate Authority loaded into your browser, go to
http://www.trilug.org/resources.php first and click on
"Load our self-signed ssl certificate authority" to do that.

Everything should be pretty self-explanatory except for one thing.
Once you get your rules setup in websieve, click on "[Advanced Options]",
specify "Yes" to "Activate script" and then hit the "Save Changes" button.
The rules will not take effect unless you do this.

There are also a few differences between procmail and sieve.  To file
something into a mail folder with sieve, the folder must first exist
(procmail would create it for you).  Also while procmail was a much
more general processor, sieve only supports what's needed to
deal with filing mail into folders.

Finally, you may notice a "Forward Mail" section of the websieve
program.  Sadly, that doesn't work at the moment.  It's apparently
a bug in the program (the program that interfaces to the sieve
interface, not in sieve itself).

Jeremy, you've been working with seive for a while now and are
still the maintainer of the member services faq.  Can you update
the FAQ to show the new stuff?

Cheers,
Tanner
--