[TriLUG] CACert

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Jun 22 15:37:55 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:56:46PM -0400, Jeff Tickle wrote:
> Brian McCullough wrote:
> >
> > Where this is going is that I am looking for more people who would like
> > to become members of the CACert Web of Trust, so that interested
> > certificate holders will have the abillity to acquire enough points
> > easily in this area to, shall we say, sign their certificates.  The
> > process is an easy, face-to-face meeting, using a form available on the
> > CACert.org site.
>
> I'm particularly interested in this.  Does this mean if, for example, we
> got a bunch of TriLUG members together to get the appropriate amount of
> WoT points, we can generate CACert certificates?  I'm most definitely

Absolutely.  That was my point, however buried it was.

> interested!  I really want to do some secure serving, but I'm not
> interested in paying for a certificate, but on the other hand I hate
> issuing an untrusted certificate that I generated myself.

My point of view, too.  I look at the price of commercial certificates,
and can't see paying for that service any time in the forseeable future.
However, part of what they offer is "their name," so if you get a
server certificate from Thawte, people know that a certain amount of
"due diligence" has happened, and that you are who you say you are.
This is exactly what CAcert is trying to do, as well.

> -Jeff
> --

Brian