[TriLUG] Ubuntu on my laptop, wow

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sat Jun 25 12:44:00 EDT 2005

As a newbie, I'll "third" it - Ubuntu has been great on my Dell Latitude
C610 so far with the single exception of the trackpad being a bit
erratic (which I'm looking into).  The notebook needs to be dual-boot
and it was a cinch with Ubuntu.  Gentoo, on the other hand, could never
boot properly and I feared for my Win partition which was hidden (and
subsequently recovered with FIXBOOT/FIXMBR) after the install.

The CD originally installs the i386 version but it was a piece of cake
to grab the i586 version.  I've replaced Gnome with KDE and am now
trying to build a default desktop constructed primarily of SuperKaramba
widgets.  Fun, fun, fun!

I'm planning on building a Linux-only desktop and will probably revisit
Gentoo at that time for the educational reasons noted elsewhere.

Tom