[TriLUG] Mail server questions

Sam Folk-Williams sam.folkwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 19:55:08 EDT 2005

Hi Lisa,

Is this a production server? If you can handle some downtime, this
would be a great opporunity to upgrade to postfix from sendmail --
much easier to configure and generally more secure.

How it works really depends on your set up, you'd probably have to
post some config files to be sure... but I would guess that sendmail
hands it off to procmail and procmail hands it off the the scanners,
which scan and hand it back to procmail, then procmail probably puts
it in the mbox. As far as I know, it's not possible to have both mbox
and maildir, and if it possible it's probably not desirable. Your
imap/pop3 server (dovecot) would allow users to delete/move messages
from their imap/pop3 client. While your at it, you might want to
switch to Courier-imap, and use the maildir format instead of mbox.
IIRC, dovecot has pretty minimal config options so I'd be curious what
kind of trouble it is giving you...

Does this help at all?

Sam

On 6/26/05, Lisa C Boyd <lcboyd at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Having had better days, I've tried to "fix" my mail server and I'm
> growing fuzzy on how a few things are handled. I appreciate any clear
> direction that can be given :)
>
> I have Sendmail set up to receive mail. Then procmail processes it as
> well as CanIt scanning it for viruses/spam. I'm not sure right now which
> order that happens in. I've also tried to setup Dovecot for imap/pop3
> access but that's causing me even more problems so I'm thinking of
> changing.
>
> 1. I have files for each user in /var/spool/mail. What puts the mail
> there? What deletes the mail from that file? What moves the files from
> there to the user's home directory?
>
> 2. What happens if I have both maildirs and mbox?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Lisa B.

Sam Folk-Williams
Linux+