[TriLUG] Ubuntu on my laptop, wow

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Sun Jun 26 20:20:16 EDT 2005

OK, so I've run into a little problem with Ubuntu.  I'm trying to
install MATLAB from a CD, but the install script keeps failing.

root at overthruster:/media/cdrom0 # sh install_unix.sh
install_unix.sh: /media/cdrom0/unix/install: /bin/sh: bad interpreter:
Permission denied

The same thing happens if I run it as "./install_unix.sh".  I've tried
running it logged in as root, using su, using "su -", and also sudo.  I
seem to get the same error every time.  I've check the fstab file, which
does not have the "noexec" flag.  The permissions on the file are:

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root root     76 Jan  9  2004 install_unix.sh

so it seems to have execute permissions (unless I am not reading that
line right, which is entirely possible :))  Any ideas of anything else I
could check?

Randy Barlow