[TriLUG] Book recommendations

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:45:12 EDT 2005

Perhaps someone else will be able to prove me wrong, but I think you
will have a tough time finding a good Linux book not geared towards a
particular distro.  (cue: RMS)  Linux is just the kernel, it is the
job of a distro to make it into an OS.  While there is quite a bit of
similarity between Linux distros, that similarity is based on three
things--  The GNU toolchain, Unix and the Linux kernel.

That said, there a several books out there that give an overview of
several of the popular distros, as well as general Unix books.  If you
like the command line, you might like Unix Power Tools, it is one of
my favorite Unix books. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upt2/

Josh