[TriLUG] Setting My Processor's Frequency in Ubuntu

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 28 16:09:48 EDT 2005

Randall Barlow wrote:
> I like that Ubuntu will scale the frequency of my processor based on my
> usage, but is there a way to set it to go a certain speed when on
> battery and full speed when not

It looks like Ubuntu is using powernowd to control the CPU speed.
The min and max speeds are specified in:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

You can echo your own (kHz) values here.

The trick is to put different numbers in there when you plug or
unplug from the A/C.  Is this a job for hotplug?

Alan

.