[TriLUG] Needed: linux-based FRS radio

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 22:37:09 EDT 2005

Greg - check out this reference material written by Raleigh's own Gary
Pearce, KN4AQ:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/frequencies/frs.shtml

The concept you have is known as an "autopatch", and the idea has
existed for decades in the world of ham radio. More recently, the
autopatch concept has been implemented as an internet gateway to VHF
radio repeaters. Unfortunately, the autopatch concept appears to be
illegal in the FRS band. (which I find to be surprising, but apparently
the little FRS radios are held to higher standards of interference than
the average ham radio equipment!)

Complete FCC rulemaking for FRS service is at:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/fcc96215.txt

What I used to find this link on google was "FRS autopatch"

JKB