[TriLUG] Linux Filesystems Comparison

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:58:21 EDT 2005

Some casual secondary research seems to indicate that of the more common
Linux journaling filesystems:

- XFS is incrementally faster than ext3
- ext3 is notably faster than Reiser

Does anyone on list have any practical experience with either benchmarking
them (and if so, what was your application to benchmark them?) or have any
hands-on commentary about any stability differences or other potential
drawbacks of using XFS over ext3?

I've got no experience with XFS, but in my estimation, if it works, it
should be pretty transparent. In my estimation, if you notice your
filesystem, something's amiss...

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance --

Shane O.
========
Shane O'Donnell
shaneodonnell at gmail.com