[TriLUG] Linux Filesystems Comparison

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 16:07:57 EDT 2005

I've used XFS for several years ago on Linux (and more years before
that on SGI) and the only problems I've ever had have been hardware
related.  XFS is a much better designed filesystem than ext3.  Note,
btw, though, that you'll probably only see large speed gains with
XFS is you're dealing with very large files (which is what it was
originally designed for).

The only drawback I've found with XFS is that lately I've been
interested in testing out other free OSes (various BSDs, etc...)
and XFS isn't supported on them so it's much harder for me to
use my desktop system and dual boot.

Cheers,
Tanner