[TriLUG] Linux Filesystems Comparison

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:01:39 EDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Shane O'Donnell <shaneodonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some casual secondary research seems to indicate that of the more common
> Linux journaling filesystems:
>
> - XFS is incrementally faster than ext3
> - ext3 is notably faster than Reiser
>
> Does anyone on list have any practical experience with either benchmarking
> them (and if so, what was your application to benchmark them?) or have any
> hands-on commentary about any stability differences or other potential
> drawbacks of using XFS over ext3?
>
> I've got no experience with XFS, but in my estimation, if it works, it
> should be pretty transparent. In my estimation, if you notice your
> filesystem, something's amiss...
>
> Feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance --
>
> Shane O.
<SNIP>

I am currently using xfs for my main storage file systems in my mythtv
box. Myth's file handling is noticeably faster. xfs is better with
large files, such as recorded tv shows. Changing channels and
switching off live tv got noticeably faster with xfs as it able to
delete the files much quicker. I don't have any benchmarks just
anecdotal evidence. I did not try reiser.

Ken