[TriLUG] Authenticating Passwords to AD

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 15:43:17 EDT 2005

Jon - thanks for this superb link, it looks like it'll fit the bill
well...

Now, I have a follow-on question to put to the group: I've got to roll a
Linux server that'll house the user accounts, run SAMBA and NIS, plus
handle the automounting of the user account to other machines. This
server will "talk" to a set of Solaris and AIX systems.

My inclination is to roll CentOS for this job. My reasoning is that it's
a well-supported distro, has all the pieces-parts "stock" in the distro,
and updates and bug fixes come along at a reasonable pace while the
basic distro itself has a good, commercially acceptable life cycle.
While Ubuntu or other Debian variants might have their strengths, going
with something Red-Hat based might be more advantageous while giving me
a measure of appeal to the higher-ups (who may already be familiar with
RedHat-type-OS's from the positive press).

Any other thoughts from the group on this topic?