[TriLUG] OT: Bridge/Advanced routing

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Jul 5 10:49:33 EDT 2005

Maybe I don't understand your question, but it seems like you are wanting to bridge between two unique layer 3 broadcast domains.  Routing is the thing that makes it possible to move between layer 3 broadcast domains, not bridging.

Your 2611 can certainly route between any combination of your three interfaces.  If you need to have fine control over traffic forwarding based on source, destination, or traffic type, which is what I suspect you are really wanting to accomplish, then you probably want to look at policy based routing.  Cisco routers like your 2611 can easily be configured to do this using route-map statements.  You use access lists to match traffic against the route map which then might point the traffic at one interface or another.  Once you have the details worked out with how traffic is forwarding, you can drop this decision down to each interface to  get near wire speed throughput, hence, policy based routing rather than process switching.

Now, some on this list are likely to take issue with me on this next point, but... I wouldn't run a web server(for example) on a cisco router if I had a nice Linux host sitting around, and you shouldn't do routing on a Linux host if you have a 2611 at your disposal.  We in the Linux community are often determined to make Linux do everything just because it can.  Use your router to route.  It'll do a fantastic job.

Ryan