[TriLUG] OT: Bridge/Advanced routing

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Jul 5 11:23:57 EDT 2005

> Now, some on this list are likely to take issue with me on this next point, but... I wouldn't run a web server(for example) on a cisco router if I had a nice Linux host sitting around, and you shouldn't do routing on a Linux host if you have a 2611 at your disposal.  We in the Linux community are often determined to make Linux do everything just because it can.  Use your router to route.  It'll do a fantastic job.
>
> Ryan

this is sage advice, although there are valid reasons for using a *nix
box as a router or firewall in some situations:

- lower cost
- easier add multiple interfaces
- better reporting and monitoring (mrtg, iptraf, ethereal, tcpdump)
- more powerful than a traditional router
- arguably easier to work with *nix than IOS

the biggest problem is reliability - cisco hardware is inherently more
reliable than most x86 stuff, primarily due to simplicity and quality of
components.  we (partially) get around that by building our routers and
firewalls on old sparcstations running openbsd (passively cooled cpu,
scsi hdd).  they're quiet, bulletproof, can be accessed via serial,
totally stable, and can do -anything- we ask.

jason