[TriLUG] Laptop ACPI S3 and swsusp2

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jul 5 22:44:48 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:32 -0400, David McDowell wrote:
> Kernel options is something I haven't messed with, we aren't talking
> about recompiling it are we?  That next section of commands, is that a
> small script you run to being the suspend to RAM process?  If so, what
> is the unsuspend process like, or does it need to be setup
> specifically/separately?

Hi David,

Yes, I'm only talking about adding those options to your grub.conf or
lilo.conf file -- no kernel re-compiles are needed, at least for the
Fedora Core kernels that I'm using.

The few commands I provided are what I run to unload some kernel modules
which, in my experience, makes things work more smoothly.  For instance,
certain kernel modules won't gracefully handle the sleep/awake cycle.

And, for me at least, the un-suspend process is initiated simply by
lifting the lid.  Theres a little button thats triggered by the lid and
makes the system awake.  Nothing else is required.

> I wonder if xbindkeys would let me launch the suspend to RAM process
> using the Fn keys on my IBM T42??  That way I'd feel like I was using
> the keyboard Fn as designed. (b/c of IBM<-->Microsoft's contracts).

Yeah, I'm certain you could do it.  I haven't bothered since I have a
"shutdown ritual" that I follow (including remembering to wrap up the
cables) and I do it without much thought.  :-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307