[TriLUG] Re-IP-ing and Firewall

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:40:27 EDT 2005

First off, WARREN!!!!  What's up?!?!  How are things?

I'll have to dig around for specifics on this but first off I have a
question: how complicated are your existing firewall rules?  Another
question would be is your server acting as a combined server/firewall
connected directly to your ISP or do you have multiple, routeable IP
Addresses and this server resides in a DMZ of sorts?

What about booting into run level 3 to avoid X?  If you can't stop the
boot process from going to X first try putting the server into single
user mode then editing /etc/inittab and changing the default to run
level 3 (or just make all your changes while in single user mode w/o
changing the inittab and rebooting).  Reboot, log in, (and this part
is from fuzzy memory way back when) edit your firewall script
somewhere in /etc/rc.# (or kicked off by rc.local) or written to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables if the rules are read from a file and not
created at boot time from a startup script.

Trouble is it has been forever since I have sat in front of a Suse
system so I don't recall if the firewall rules are written to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables (google seems to indicate it might be).

If the server/firewall is a dedicated firewall I hardily recommend
M0n0wall (what a surprise).

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

I run mine on a low-power Soekris Net-4501 and can't imagine going
back to a "full-sized" firewall.

Greg "Ex RPM'er" Brown