[TriLUG] 3rd question of the day: Linux webcams

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:45:17 EDT 2005

Is anyone out there in linux-land using a USB webcam that offers
greater then 640x480 resolution?  I would like 1020x768 and I would
like to know if you are, or have, actually used this camera before
(the problem I keep running into is many of the "linux supported"
cameras really aren't - they might get 120x160 resolution, but that
requires holding on hand up while salting the earth, dancing in a
circle, and praying to Ganish (it's also not likely to not work after
"the next" kernel upgrade).  No thank you.

I'm looking for plug-n-play.  Something I can just point vgrabbj,
webcam-m, or whatever to and merrily snap photos.  Server is running
Debian Sarge.

Greg